yolabs
Team Yolabs
Yolabs_Logo

Anirudd

Captain CODO

Vidyut

Serious Genius 

Sid

Never Serious Builder

 

What could be a better way to get best out of your young team and bots than having your own version of pi noon- Balloon War?  We added a bit more fun by allowing our teams to design and build their own offense  and defence.  Listen to our young inventors why they think thier  bot is best and deserves to win.   

A Quick Glance – How Hazard is growing hazardous every day. 

Hazard - Autonomous

Upto The Garden Path
19 Sec - Reliability needs improvement 50%
Feed The Fish
Only Fish tank ready 30%
Tidy Up the Toys
Meachanism testing Pending 70%
DIY Obstacle Course
Planning to put a conveyor 40%

Status - Soft Points

Blog-Vlog
Not as per plan 30%
Technical Merit
Missing a responsive control 40%
Artistic Merit
Cool Neopixel & much more 60%
Most Disastrous - Theme
No Idea 20%
Up the Garden Path Track

Hello! I’m Anirudd Archak, the captain of the team Yolabs and this is the weekly blog regarding the progress made by our team in the past week.

This week, our primary focus was Up The Garden Path. The goal was to fix the line following code in our robot, create the path for this event and test the robot and get a base time. However, COVID has not been kind to us and there are a lot of COVID cases popping up lately in the area where we live . So our mentor, Rahul sir, gave us a description of all sorts of things we will have to do at our homes and gave us a lot of stuff to carry home to accomplish our individual tasks. We divided the first three tasks amongst ourselves and decided that the DIY Obstacle Course would be made by the combined efforts of all of us. Then, we all made a very rough copy of the track on the floor and tested the robots.

Actually, the robots we made to test this event used Arduino and not Raspberry Pi. We intend to use smaller versions of Pi and Arduinos as slaves during the actual contest while the main control centre is the Raspberry Pi. Initially, when we tested the robots, there were a few hiccups but at the end, we managed to pass the course. Our biggest challenge, however, were the curves. So we modified the code a lot such that the robot steers more to the right and to the left while taking curved turns. Next, we timed the robot and achieved a base time of 20 seconds (which is good)!!!

With the robot working fine, we took some essential things we would need to do our tasks at home, packed our bags and went back home. Even though we may be lagging behind in some of the tasks, we are still going to be great and we will still win this competition!

 

Designing  Models of Grabbers for Tidy Up the Toys

 

Last week, we worked on our individual tasks and set up our own Raspberry Pi s to perform all the tasks we will have to accomplish at our respective homes. Our goal last week was to design a mechanism for the robot to grab the blocks and stack them one on top of the other in Tidy Up The Toys AND make an algorithm for the robot to follow the line in Up the Garden Path. I took charge of the first task while Vidyut, another member of our team and the main logician for our robot, took charge of the second task. I cracked my head over the mechanisms and finally came up with 2 mechanisms and made 3D versions of them. Below are rough images of the two designs.

In the first design, there are three grabbers which grab the blocks and stack them one on top of the other. They move up, down, and side to side through the rods. In the second design, there are two grabbers which move up and down and stack the blocks one on top of the other. In the end, we all decided to implement the first design as it was faster and would bring out better results.

For the second task, Vidyut made an algorithm for the robot to detect the line in a much accurate and faster way than before. This time, we used four IR sensors instead of two, two on the right and two on the left. So in case the first sensor doesn’t detect the line, the second sensor will. This also helped the robot maneuver easily through the curves and steep turns in the track.

Therefore, we finished our goals for the week and we plan to focus more on Feed The Fish and Tidy Up The Toys from now on. So, that’s it for this week’s blog!

 

In the past week, we significantly worked on Up The Garden Path and Tidy Up The Toys. As I said in the previous blog, Vidyut, our other team member, is in charge of Up The Garden Path, I’m in charge of Tidy Up The Toys while Sid, our pro builder, is in charge of Feed The Fish. For Up the Garden Path, Vidyut made a replica of the track at his home which will be used to test all further codes regarding this task . We are now using Arduino for our tasks and will later move on to Raspberry Pi once we accurately get a base time in Arduino (the real reason why we are using Arduino: two of our Pi got fried L). Vidyut has also made changes to the algorithm to make it faster and more accurate. Later, we will use camera and audio commands for this task. Below are pictures of the robot for this task and the new track.

Vehicle mounted with IR sensors for testing of Up the Garden Path

As for Tidy Up the Toys, we are having SERIOUS issues with our cameras. My camera, when connected to the pi, didn’t work for some reason. So I went to Rahul sir’s house and took his camera. Even that didn’t work. So our goal for this week is to figure out the problem with the cameras. Since my pi is new, I checked whether the servo motors and ultrasonic sensors were functioning, and they at least worked. I’m pretty sure that by next week, or actually by the time I write the next blog, this issue should be resolved and we should have made our line follower robot detect the line using camera and for Tidy Up The Toys, we should be able to detect the blocks using the camera.

Open chat